Nominations for 2020 have closed.
IMA invites you to consider serving your association and industry membership as a director on the International Magnesium Association (IMA) Board of Directors. Your leadership and management experience is welcome and we encourage you to consider a nomination
for the betterment of our association and share in the experience of working alongside your industry peers.
IMA is now accepting Board of Director nominations for the 2020-2023 Board term.
There are currently six (6) board seats open for the 2020-2023 board term. All nominations must be submitted via the online submission form on or before Wednesday, July 15, 2020. The
election will take place via e-ballot (online voting).
Who May Nominate:
To nominate an IMA member, please send their name, contact information, and a brief statement on why you are nominating them to firstname.lastname@example.org for the nominations committee to review.
To self-nominate, please use the "Submit Your Nomination" link provided below.
Submit your nomination
- Candidates must be individuals employed by or under contract to provide services on behalf of a corporate member, or be an approved representative of a university member, in good standing.
- Candidates must support IMA’s mission to promote the use of the metal magnesium in material selection and encourage innovative applications of the versatile metal.
- Candidate must be able to recognize conflicts of interest and be capable of working collaboratively to advance IMA goals and strategic objectives.
- Candidates should have the ability to travel and attend in-person board meetings at international locations at no cost to IMA.
- Desired qualifications for IMA Board members include:
- History of active engagement with IMA committees, conference attendance, providing presentations to the membership, or sponsorship support
- Be a senior leader or department head who has significant decision-making authority and ability to influence resource allocation or material selection within their organization
- IMA seeks to have diversity of viewpoints, industry segments, and geographic regions represented on the board.
Purpose of the Board:
To advise, govern, oversee policy and direction, and assist with the leadership and general promotion of the International Magnesium Association so as to support the IMA’s mission and needs.
- Organizational leadership and advisement
- Organization of the board of directors, officers, and committees
- Formulation and oversight of policies and procedures
- Financial management, including adoption and oversight of the annual budget
- Oversight of program planning and evaluation
- Personnel evaluation and staff development
- Review of organizational and programmatic reports
- Promotion of the organization
- Fundraising and member outreach
*Members of the board share these responsibilities while acting in the interest of IMA. Each member is expected to make recommendations based on his or her experience and vantage point in the community.
Board of Director term is three (3) years, which may be renewed up to a maximum of two consecutive terms (total 9 years in office), pending approval of the Board.
Meetings and time commitment:
- The IMA board typically meets in person at the World Magnesium Conference and 1-2 times during the year. The board may also schedule teleconference meetings as needed.
- Committees of the board meet two times per year pending their respective work agenda: September and at the World Magnesium Conference.
- Board members are asked to attend the IMA World Magnesium Conference and at least one IMA sponsored event (if applicable) as they are determined.
Expectations of Board members:
- Attend and participate in meetings on a regular basis, and at least one IMA sponsored event.
- Participate on a standing committee of the board, and serve on ad-hoc committees as necessary.
- Be alert to the magnesium and user industry concerns that can be addressed by (IMA) mission, objectives, and programs.
- Help communicate and promote the IMA mission and programs to the community.
- Become familiar with IMA finances, budget, and financial/resource needs.
- Understand the policies and procedures of IMA.
- Financially support IMA in a manner commensurate with one’s ability.
The intent of the board make-up is to represent the international magnesium community on a geographic basis, however, it may evolve that representation is not balanced from the perspective of membership numbers in certain geographic regions and/or due
to what specific members are willing to actively serve and participate on the IMA Board of Directors.
Submit your nomination
Questions? Please contact IMA Executive Vice President Lee Helgen at email@example.com or Tel +1 651.203.7254.